Please Click

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Simon Says

Simon says,

Gospel music is not all about the technique work, Gospel is how the music is feel.


It looks like a simple statement to make, but seriously, It is not!!!




The blacks Sunday worship is very different from the traditional churches. Their music are full with passion and power, emotions flow out abundantly. That is how the blacks show their passion to God, worship Him with their whole heart and soul. Singing every note to the Glorious, Almighty God. Praise and worship with their voices and music.

Their faith for God is something that we could not defy. So as their music.

Simon asked me to take a look at how the black plays the piano. Learn from them, how they feel the music.

FEEL is a big thing for Gospel music, so as in most of the other contemporary music. I'm preparing a Gospel for my jury and I still don't have the Gospel feel in me. Aisk...

I'm working on my song from head to toe, back till front again and again, trying every single method to get THE feel right. It just seems like I can't get anything done.

Simon thought me some special Gospel chords that helped me out somehow, but it had just simply increase the difficulty of the song to another peak. I have to get myself to think out of the box. Think how to apply the chords, when and where.

Its funny when I recall on how Simon commented on my Gospel playing.

"It sounded like there is a Hanon going on in between your lines. Its more like a classical pop."

Simon also told me this:

"Sometime we tend to overdo things, when there is an empty space, try not to put too much stuffs in, just let it be and the music will speaks for itself. Simple melodies could also win the hearts of men."

I couldn't agree more with him. So I did what he asked me to do. Listen to how the black plays. Here are some video on the black playing the song I'm preparing for my jury. Amazing grace. They have the feel that I need to pick up, especially the 2nd video.







Jury is in 2 weeks time. I need the FEEL!!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's very true~
    This is the "silence" and "play fewer" that i was kept telling pianists~
    But he described more artisticly though~ which is cool. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol.. the "Simon saying" here isn't words for words. But that was the message he was trying to convey. ^^

    ReplyDelete